What we do
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don’t just make things – we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical centre of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
This is a unique opportunity to get involved in a new, greenfield, technology build based on cutting edge sequencer-based architecture (Event Sourcing micro-services architecture). Our current technology drives the post-execution processing for the Securities Execution, Prime Clearing, and Prime Brokerage businesses, and have started a multi-year convergence program to deliver all of these businesses onto a single, high scalable platform, enabling business growth with reduced operational costs.
We’re looking for highly technical, commercially minded, software engineers who enjoy seeing things done differently to join us on this exciting journey.
About the team
We are growing a new team in Stockholm that will collaborate with colleagues around the world to deliver our new strategic post-execution platform. Almost all of our projects are cross-location and cross-function, meaning we work directly with Front Office, Operations, Legal, Tax, and our Engineering colleagues from those areas, across the wider firm.
We work directly with Operations and Securities sales/trading to design and implement a wide range of functions including trade aggregators, trade matchers, payment systems, intercompany trade booking and settlement systems, and connectivity to exchanges, counterparties and vendors. Our Exception Workflow and Business Intelligence tooling allows our Operations teams to respond to client enquiries and monitor service levels.
Our strategic new Post Execution Sequencer platform is a brand new/greenfield initiative to converge all of our businesses onto a single technology platform, to proving much better scalability, improved resiliency and reducing the time needed to develop and deliver new features. The programme is sponsored by our division’s senior leadership and is one of the key strategic deliveries of the next few years.
At the Sequencer’s heart is a scalable messaging backbone which ensures rapid and reliable distribution of messages to a horizontally scalable set of processing nodes. These nodes provide either functional processing, interfaces to upstream and downstream systems, and user workflow.
Highly-developed analytical and technical skills, combined with a commercial and collaborative approach to problem solving, are essential to our success.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR
- Senior core Java technical lead / architect
- Self-guided pragmatic individual with a proven track record in designing and delivering complex software solutions in the financial services industry
- Motivated by the opportunity to make impactful deliveries for our businesses and clients
- Strong analytical, design and architecture skills
· Hungry to learn new concepts and technologies
- Ability to efficiently work within a global team
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Able to keep a commercial outlook while maintaining a focus on technical quality and attention to detail
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Core Java Developer with 10+ years of experience
- Experience of developing and managing high volume, distributed, multi-threaded, real-time transaction processing systems
- Experience of designing for extremely high throughput and low latency
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development and Business Driven Development
- Experience with OO design, performant data structures and algorithms
- Experience of databases (SQL, NoSQL)
- Linux / Unix skills including scripting (shell)
- Experienced leader with ability to guide/grow junior talent in the team
- Knowledge of financial markets, asset classes and market infrastructure
- Understanding of the post execution trade processing domain, including concepts such as allocation, matching, trade explosion, trade aggregation and trade confirmation.