Schibsted is on a mission to become the most data-empowered company in the Nordics! We are a family of over 55 brands (and growing!), which consists of leading Nordic marketplaces, world-class media houses and digital companies. Data Foundations is the central department within Schibsted working to empower our businesses to deliver value by leveraging data - always with our users’ best interest at heart. Our data platform ingest 1 TB of data daily from all of Schibsted’s web and native applications, and our products are used within the company for machine learning, analytics, personalisation, segmentation and advertisement.
As a Software Engineer you will be part of the ambitious, diverse and empowered Collection team which develops products for all Schibsted brands to collect and validate high-quality behavioural, user, content and transaction data with low friction.
Your main responsibilities
You will develop the backend services used by our products, continuously enhancing and expanding these, influencing decisions and the way forward!
As part of your daily work, you’ll be:
- Developing our products, bringing in, shaping and delivering new ideas, functionalities and concepts together with the team, product management and stakeholders.
- Collaborating with experienced software engineers to implement technical solutions.
- Contributing to the engineering process with code and architectural reviews.
What we are looking for
Are you ready to make a broad impact in our organisation and on Schibsted’s data strategy? We are expanding our team and we believe that you’re the right person if you:
- Have proven experience in tackling complex technical problems, balancing between business deliveries and technical improvements.
- Have a “can-do-attitude”, meaning curious, confident and willing to deal with problems, to investigate unclarities and to learn new technologies, including parts of our ecosystem.
- Have an ownership mentality, proactively seeking highest value responsibility and taking accountability for it.
- Actively strive to share knowledge and best practices in a supportive environment, promoting continuous improvement.
- You are fluent in Java, Scala or another JVM based language.
- You have knowledge and hands-on experience developing highly scalable services and applications on cloud solutions such as AWS and Kubernetes.
- You have good knowledge of architecture and design (patterns, reliability, scalability, quality) of microservices and cloud infrastructure.
It’s an advantage if you have:
- Experience within web and/or mobile applications product teams.
- Experience with data modeling and backend data stores, such as PostgreSQL and DynamoDB.
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery, in particular Travis.
- An interest/passion for Scala and functional programming.
- A passion for metrics, monitoring and code "transparency".
Schibsted is a family of digital brands with a strong Nordic position, and more than 5,000 employees. Millions of people interact with our companies every day through our leading online marketplaces, world-class media houses. We also help new promising businesses grow. Our joint mission of empowering people in their daily lives is rooted in the values of our media heritage and a legacy of bold change. At our best, we are a fearless force for change in a society built on trust and transparency.
Data & Tech is a central product and tech unit that serves all of Schibsted. We are about 250+ people in Oslo, Stockholm and Krakow, and collaborate closely with other product and tech teams in all units in Schibsted. Areas of responsibilities include data & technology strategy, privacy/data trends/responsible data & machine learning, information security and internal IT.