As a Game Designer on Embark's Creative Play team, you will work with the team building systems that enable and encourage creative play for our users. You may specialise in a certain discipline or skill - but you have a broad interest in design and creativity.
While you will help build specific experiences, tools, and capabilities - your ultimate goal is to create a place where our users amaze you with experiences they have created.
You have ideally worked on several different game styles in varied contexts, and are interested in overarching challenges and possibilities of game creation. You want to build things, but what excites you is providing the tools that enable others to create. You are comfortable with early stage tools and technologies - able to give constructive feedback on improvements while also able to get things done with what is working.
A project with many unknowns is a project with many things to discover - so the role focuses on hands-on development. Of course there will be concept thinking and discussion and alignment, but our approach is to maximize prototypes, iteration, and concrete experiments. This also means ideas are often explored, changed, and even discarded.
We are a hybrid-remote team, and value designers who take initiative, communicate and collaborate across the project.
Example of Responsibilities:
- Design a core system: brainstorm with teammates, collect and make coherent the ideas, present to rest of team
- Take a promising "C+" quality prototype that we believe in and work with the team to iterate it to an A (or A+!)
- Exploring other relevant products and distilling learnings and ideas for us to consider
- Constantly using the software - understanding what we have, feedback on highest value improvements
We would love it if you have:
- A creative and curious mind and have worked on early stage concepts or experiments
- Experience working on products with shared communities and features heavily focused on user behaviour
- Game Design experience with either progression/engagement, UX and tools, or World Creation
- Technically strong - comfort with some coding and looking at code
At Embark we offer competitive salaries, passionate colleagues to share knowledge with and much more, but most of all we invite you to take part of a journey into the unknown, to build creative, surprising and beautiful experiences together.
We welcome game makers of all sex, class, colour, age, gender identity, education, religion, opinion, culture, nation of origin, language, sexual orientation, shape, size, and ability.
Did we leave anyone out? Well, we welcome you, too! We think that the gaming industry is made better when everyone has a seat at the table.
Be yourself at Embark and make games while doing so. Please apply with confidence. We can’t wait to hear from you (in English)!
If this role doesn't quite match what you're looking for, feel free to apply to us via our "Open Application."