- Notera att ansökningsdagen för den här annonsen kan ha passerat. Läs annonsen noggrant innan du går vidare med din ansökan.
The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a software developer and Monte Carlo simulation scientist in ESS spallation physics group.
Description of group
The ESS Target Division, including the ESS spallation physics group, has the responsibility to design, develop, procure, install, commission and test the systems needed to convert the energetic proton beam coming from the accelerator to neutron beams that are utilized for experiments.
Key features of the target station are the target itself, the neutron moderator and reflector system, and the neutron beam-extraction system. However, the group has not only the responsibility for spallation physics related topics within target, but ESS wide. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Particle transport calculations to optimize the output of the target-moderator-reflector system, life-time estimates for irradiated components, shielding and activation calculations.
• Development of computer tools and thermal and cold neutron scattering cross-sections (scattering kernels) for particle transport simulations.
• Experimental verification and development of new moderator-reflector systems and other spallation physics related concepts.
• Study of materials of interest for the operations and the performance of the facility.
• Interface to the neutron scattering instrument teams to provide source terms for the instrument optimizations.
As part of our computer tools we are maintaining and developing a program called CombLayer. At ESS we are using this tool to generate geometries for the whole ESS facility in a flexible way, materials, source definitions, and variance reduction parameters to improve the statistical accuracy of the calculations. We are therefore looking for an experienced software developer with a background in neutron or high-energy physics to be the leader of this program.
Description of main responsibilities
The Software developer and Monte Carlo simulation scientist will primary focus on software development related to Monte Carlo transport codes. This task will initially be focused on the development and maintenance of CombLayer. At a later stage it will also involve the improvement of the physics in e.g. MCNP(X), which is of importance to ESS, but could also include modifications to the burn-up code Cinder and the cross-section code NJOY, or work with abinitio codes.
We expect the successful candidate to have the following skills and experience:
• PhD in physics, chemistry, computer science or equivalent
• At least 5 years of experience developing software
• Very advanced knowledge of C++
• Knowledge of other programming languages, such as Python and Fortran, is desirable
• Experience with use of particle transport codes, such as MCNP, FLUKA, or Geant4, and track record of publications is desirable.
• Experience with burn-up codes like Cinder or Fispact is desirable.
• Experience generating scattering kernels with NJOY is desirable.
• Experience with molecular modeling and abinitio codes is desirable.
• Background in nuclear or particle physics is desirable.
• The ability to obtain a license for MCNP(X) and Cinder.
Experience of working in an international environment is an advantage and excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.
To be successful and perform well in this position the right candidate needs to have a genuine interest in producing nice and structured code, documented in a proper way. It is important to be a team player, be enthusiastic about the work, and be self-motivated. You should also be goal-oriented and be used to working towards deadlines. We are looking for a brilliant, innovative, and open-minded scientist with excellent communication skills!
What ESS can offer
ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging and high paced work environment where our employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.
If you were to join ESS, you would become an important piece of the puzzle, since all our skilled staff are needed in order to fulfill the overall mission. We value and need expertise, innovative minds, great ways of leading and interacting with others, and the ability to work with people regardless of culture and background.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Your cover letter should include a research statement with a description of your programming experience. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply through the intranet.
The deadline for applications is 2019-10-07.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the recruiting manager, ESS spallation physics group leader, Günter Muhrer, gunter.muhrer[at]esss.se.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Tina Nilsson, tina.nilsson[at]esss.se.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Mikael Johansson at +46 46 888 32 51 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Andra webbjobb i Lund
- Developer Team Lead, SaaS product
- Software Developer Trainee
- Senior Web Developer (frontend/full stack)
- Embedded-utvecklare, Network Audio på Axis Communications, New Business
- Embedded software developer – Axis Communications, Network Door Stations...