The European Spallation Source is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe. The ESS is a partnership of 13 European countries and occupies a truly impressive campus based in the beautiful, cosmopolitan university city of Lund, Sweden – just 10 minutes from Malmö and 30 minutes from Copenhagen.
We are now looking to appoint a Software Engineer for the Integrated Control System (ICS) Division.
The ICS division is responsible for the design, construction, commissioning and operation of control systems for the ESS facility including the linear accelerator, Target station, Neutron Scattering Instruments and building utilities management. The Controls Infrastructure group has the responsibility to deliver and maintain the IT infrastructure for the ESS control system and various systems.
About the role
As a Software Engineer you will be contributing to architecture, design, development and testing of the software work packages within the Integrated Control System project.
You will work with design and implementation of control system software applications, working together with colleagues and open source communities with design, development, maintenance, debugging and support.
We expect you to be an active member of the development team, working with continuous improvement of work methodologies and environment.
- A Masters’ degree or similar in relevant field
- At least 3-5 years' experience in software development including requirements, design, documentation, implementation, integration, testing, deployment and maintenance
- Solid programming experience working with Java
- Experience from software quality improvement methodologies such as test driven development, code review, system/integration testing etc.
- Experience from working with community-based/open-source software initiatives and understanding of the dynamics in such environments
- Experience in version control systems (preferably git)
- Experience with continuous integration infrastructures
- Experience participating and contributing to agile development models (Scrum and Kanban)
- Experience from working in an international environment is essential
- Experience with C, C++ or Python programming would be an advantage
- Experience working with EPICS and CS-Studio Phoebus would be an advantage.
To be successful and perform well in this position you need to be a true team player, wanting to learn from others and contribute with your own knowledge. You have good communication skills and a flexible attitude. You enjoy solving problems and can see how your solutions will fit into the greater picture.
What can we offer?
Aside from the opportunity to work at one of only 4 linear accelerator-based spallation sources on the whole planet, you can also expect:
• An opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science.
• A stunning, brand new workplace filled with innovative minds and brilliant people from across the globe.
• A challenging and exciting work environment.
• Market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements.
• Benefits including 30 days of annual leave as well as more than 10 days of public holiday and company days off or days with limited working hours.
• Monthly pension contributions on top of your salary
• Relocation support and allowances
• Flexible working arrangements and a real work-life balance.
• An excellent quality of life in the highly sought after, family-friendly, beautiful and well-connected Southern Sweden/Greater Copenhagen region.
Duration & Location
The position is a permanent position.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and personal letter in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
Deadline for this application is 14th August, 2022.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Susanne Regnell, Group Leader Conrol System Software, susanne.regnell[at]ess.eu.
For trade union information, please contact Unionen representative Conny Wendt at [email protected] or SACO/Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers representative Yngve Levinsen at [email protected].
We look forward to receiving your application!