Paradox Development Studio makes world-leading grand strategy games that our fans spend hundreds of hours in, and our artists make sure we do it in style! We are now looking for a creative Concept Artist to develop inspiring concepts and illustrations in our Stellaris art team!
About the role:
You will work collaboratively with the rest of the art team to develop and refine the art style, texture and richness of the Stellaris game, through thoroughly researched, richly detailed and extensively iterated concept art with a focus on creating both amazing ships, and the characters to man them. The role also involves creating additional 2D art for our games as needed, such as model sheets, small or full-screen illustrations and marketing materials. You will articulate and contextualize your decisions and communicate your ideas in English, as it is our company language.
You will also take part in visual development/style guide work, help the Art Director & Producer with task estimates if needed, and participate in feedback sessions with your fellow artists.
- 5+ years of experience creating concept art and illustrations for in-game purposes - for both soft surface design and illustrations such as characters, clothing and environments as well as hard surface design and illustrations like architecture-, technical-, and vehicle design.
- Prestigeless when giving/receiving feedback from leads or peers, and having no issues taking up another artists task or putting down their own work to let others finish it
- Solid understanding of 2D art fundamentals: Anatomy, Architecture, Technical Design, Composition, Lighting, Material Expression, Color Use, etc and skilled in Photoshop,
- Strong creative process to translate gameplay requirements into visual designs: information gathering, research, thumbnailing, detailing, and iterations.
- A passion or liking for Sci-fi, Strategy games, and desirably our game Stellaris
- Familiarity with tools such as ZBrush, Blender, Maya &, Keyshot, Octane or 3D Coat would be a bonus but not essential.
It’s important that you enjoy working in a team where everyone supports each other, and that you are motivated by having the creative freedom and responsibility to take charge of a task and deliver. You care about quality and you’re motivated by the idea of our many fans around the world interacting with your work.
As part of the recruitment process, you will be asked to perform a test.