Are you someone who likes to help make the world a better place, and not content going to work building yet another service that people don't really need?
Diet Doctor was founded in 2007 by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, who was inspired to help people eat better and live a healthier life. Beginning as a simple blog, we are now in 2019 the global leader in our niche, with more than 30 full time co-workers around the world. Most of us work from our central Stockholm office.
What you may be surprised to know is that Diet Doctor is fully self-funded, and we have never taken VC money - pretty unique for a fast-growing startup that is more than doubling in size every year. This makes us fully in control of our own destiny, and not beholden to outside influence. Apart from competitive salaries and benefits, this allows us to offer all employees to buy a stake in the company regularly.
The Engineering team that you will join is small but growing steadily. We are taking our time to find the right people, and since we're still less than 10 people it also implies that you will be given a lot of responsibility - and have an equally strong voice in both what we do and how we do it.
What's in it for you?
- The chance to put your best design ideas forward and refine the way our services work, look, and feel to our customers.
- The opportunity to get into the company early on, helping us evolve our products and services ecosystem at a moment when the company is growing very fast (> 150% year over year) but still is small enough for you to make a deep personal impact.
- Shape your own role as we grow together and our needs evolve.
- Own a meaningful part of the company that you put your best work into, through our direct shares offering to employees that occur on a regular basis.
- Many interesting problems to solve, and future products & services to be designed and built - all at a global scale and with meaningful impact on people's lives.
- The largest low-carb site in the world.
- 500k daily visits, more than doubling our traffic year over year.
- Global presence (English, Spanish, Swedish, and more coming).
- Top Google ranking for our segment.
- New iOS app (released in January 2019).
Our tech stack
- WordPress (PHP/MySQL).
- Modern frontend with new development beingbased primarilyon React.
- GraphQL API.
- Microservices built with Go & Kubernetes/Docker.
- Deployed on Amazon’s AWS cloud.
Who you are
- You have a great understanding of how WordPress is used as a CMS to deliver valuable content to users.
- You have a passion for creating beautiful code, with a focus on readability and maintainability.
- You are a systems thinker that can see a solution as part of a larger whole.
- You have a lot of experience working as part of a fast-moving team, delivering quality code on time.
- You are a self-going and pragmatic doer who enjoys taking responsibility.
- Finally, you are someone who wants to contribute to truly make the world a better place.
What you'll do
- You will design and develop our WordPress stack, as part of the Site Team.
- You will help build our infrastructure to be faster, more stable, and more modern.
- You will help design and make the site beautiful and simple to use.
- You will contribute to building our team’s knowledge of different technologies, best practices, and testing methodologies.
- You will support our primary mission - delivering meaningful content and services to our users, to help them improve their health.
- Deep understanding of the full WordPress stack.
- Having contributed to the core WordPress projects is a strong plus.
- 5+ years PHP development experience.
- TDD or other testing methodologies - we love tests! :)
- Previous contribution to open source software projects and the community is highly valued.
- Bonus: React or similar frameworks, and an interest in UX/interaction design.
We strive to build our Engineering team with dedicated full-time employees, so we are currentlynot looking for freelancers or consultants.
You will be working primarily from our beautiful and airy Swedish HQ here in Stockholm (Vasagatan 40, just opposite the central station). Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we will help with your move here, and also finding a place to live.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway - we’ll wait for the right person.
Applications will be processed as soon as we receive them.Please include the following to make the interview process as fast and smooth as possible:
- Short personal letter about why you’re right for this job, and why you would like to work at Diet Doctor (please keep it at a single page).
- Links to projects you have been involved with (please describe your individual involvement).
- Salary range suggestion.
- Bonus: Relevant code samples that we can discuss during the first interviews (not mandatory but will definitely move you ahead in the queue).
We look forward to your application!